Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Baby Countdown!

Just like Hadley, we only get to see from nose down
I’m counting down the days until she’s here!  This pregnancy has been a rough one and I’m the most miserable I have ever been.  In fact, at my last week’s appointment my midwife decided to do a cervical check to make sure everything is okay.  Turns out that the baby is already super low and in position – hence the discomfort.  I’m 1 cm dilated, 70% effaced, and already having contractions.  Nothing super intense, just enough to make me uncomfortable.  However, it has been making my regular life difficult especially since I have a 10-month-old who is walking EVERYWHERE.  Tim has really picked up my slack though and he takes care of most everything at this point.  My midwife doesn’t seem to think this baby is going to wait until 40 weeks to make her appearance.

She looks so much like Hadley did
We also had an ultrasound yesterday to check on the baby’s size.  She’s considerably bigger than Hadley was.  At 36 weeks, Hadley measured 5lbs 14oz.  This little girl is already measuring at 7lbs 7oz.  I had a feeling she was going to be bigger so I wasn’t too surprised by those numbers.  My doctor was still pretty happy with my blood sugars.  My numbers have been great, my A1C came back as a 5.3 (which are non-diabetic numbers), and my amniotic fluid was normal which is another indicator that my diabetes has been controlled well.  However, this baby is still big so he thinks it would be best to induce at 39 weeks vs. waiting.  I’m hoping she comes on her own before then because I don’t want to induce again if I can help it.  I will say, if it’s induction vs a 10-lb baby, I’ll take the induction. 

My blood pressure seems to be on the rise the last couple of weeks.  I ended up getting induced with Hadley so my midwife and doctor are concerned that it’ll just keep getting higher.  They have ordered restricted activity from here until the baby comes.  No more walking, standing, carting stuff around, they don’t want me to walk around Costco.  I’m ordered to keep my feet up as much as possible and only light daily activity.  It’s not bed rest, but not far off.  They are wanting to make sure to get ahead of this so it doesn’t turn into preeclampsia. 

I do have some good news!  I’m GBS negative this time so that means I don’t have to be on antibiotics during labor and I won’t have to be monitored as much.  Yay!!!  I have gained around 40 pounds this pregnancy - I swear all in my belly.  I keep freaking out every time I go to the doctor because the scale just keeps going up.  They laugh at me and say that it’s normal to gain weight during pregnancy but I can’t figure out why I’ve gained so much especially since I lost 36 pounds with Hadley.  I’ll be interested in seeing how much comes off after I deliver. 


The next 3(ish) weeks promise to be interesting.  I’m really hoping she decides to come a little early but if not, we’ll have a baby in 3 weeks.  I’ll opt for an induction at 39 weeks if she hasn’t come on her own by then.  Being diabetic, there are way more risks during delivery if the baby is larger.  I’m not willing to risk it.  I guess we'd better get on the stick and pick a name for this kid since she'll be here sooner rather than later!  

1 comment:

  1. You are just glowing! I'm so excited for you! Those babies are so close, I can't imagine a ten/eleven month old (or even one year old!) as the big sister, you are going to have your hands very pleasantly full. :) But it's such an amazing gift! In my humble opinion there's nothing better you could be giving to little Hadley.

    ReplyDelete