Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Is Winter Over Yet?

I’m not usually the biggest fan of Winter because I hate driving around when the roads are icy and snowy.  I love everything else about it, however.  The way the entire landscape changes and the cool temperatures.  I was really excited for this Winter especially because it would be Hadley’s first snow.  And boy did it snow.  We got more snow this year than we had for over 30 years!  Everyone was calling it record breaking – schools closed, garbage trucks couldn’t get into subdivisions to pick up trash, mail wasn’t being delivered, and stores were sold out of everything because power kept going out.  It was utter chaos and driving around in it has been hellacious.  God definitely made it special for Hadley – holy cow.  Apparently, there is another winter storm coming our way and we’re supposed to get another 6 inches of snow by Friday.  I just want to cry every time I hear the words “more snow”.      

Some good things have happened this winter though.  With all the cold and yuck, we haven’t been tempted to eat out so we’ve been planning and eating all our meals at home.  YAY!  My sweet girl is 7 months old and she can say Ma (usually at the top of her lungs when she’s pissed), she has two teeth, she’s happily eating solids along with her formula, she’s rolling around like crazy and is almost ready to crawl, and she can pull herself up by grabbing on to the side of something.  Once that girl can crawl/walk we are in some serious trouble.  Her favorite things to play with are the surround sound speaker cords and the cord to her swing.  We’ve celebrated some big milestones with Hadley this Winter which has put a brighter perspective on the whole situation. 

We’ve also celebrated some new things with baby girl number 2.  We’re now 23 weeks along and baby is super healthy and growing just like she should.  I’ve been doing all the same things I had with Hadley but this pregnancy has been markedly different.  I’ve gained weight with this pregnancy when I didn’t with Hadley.  I’m now up to around 295.  I complained so much about it at all my prenatal appointments my midwife had to explain that women normally gain weight during pregnancy.  Luckily, I haven’t put on anything else in the last few weeks.  I started showing earlier and I felt the baby move way sooner – which was awesome.  I have a posterior placenta this time around so the movements alone have been so much different.  My diabetes and sugars have been well controlled and it shows in the size of the baby.  If everything is good there and she is healthy, I’m not too worried about weight gain – if it doesn’t keep going up.  I’m trying so hard to keep myself away from 300, in a healthy non-dieting way while I’m pregnant.  It’s not a number I ever want to see again.


Aside from those things, I’ve been giving considerable thought to becoming a stay a home mom.  Right now, my mom has been watching Hadley for us while Tim and I work which has been such a huge blessing.  I’ve loved not having to put her in daycare and she loves spending time with her Grandma.  But, I’m having a harder and harder time leaving the house to go work when my girl is at home.  With the new baby coming I have been struggling with the thought of going back to work.  The problem we have is that it takes two incomes for us to pay our bills.  I don’t know how long my mom is going to be able to watch both girls, especially since they just bought a house farther away from us.  I’m trying to come up with some options that would allow me to work from home and set my own schedule.  So far, I haven’t come up with a solution.  Hopefully something will happen soon but until then we are just living day by day.

2 comments:

  1. I somehow missed your earlier post - I didn't check blogs much while I was slacking off. :) Those pictures of Hadley are super cute.

    It's awesome that you've only gained 10 pounds. I gained 40 with both my pregnancies without even blinking. And I know what you mean about the fetal movements - it was the same with my kiddos (placenta placement issues). BUT my second (my daughter) who I felt move all the time moves a lot more in real life too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! She's super patient with the camera so we got lucky. It helps that she loves my doula so she was totally fine giving her big smiles. I'm really hoping that I don't gain a lot of weight. If I wasn't already so heavy starting off my pregnancies I wouldn't be so worried about it. Plus it's harder to get rid of the extra weight gain after delivery lol.

      Delete