Friday, August 19, 2016

Better Late Than Never!

When I said in my post last week that I would update everyone on Friday I didn't mean this Friday.  Anyway, I guess it's better to do it now than not at all.  If you remember, I had said that I wanted to try and hit a workout goal of at least 3 days of activity during the week plus something extra on the weekend.  My week stacked up as follows:

Monday:  Walked 2 miles plus 30 minutes of Sworkit
Tuesday:  Rest
Wednesday:  Ran 3/4 of a mile plus stadium bleachers.  I think it was 16 sets of bleachers.  (Up and down is one set.)
Thursday:  Rest
Friday:  Walked 2 miles

I'm excited that I hit that goal but I'm bummed that we didn't get a chance to do anything this weekend.  We were so busy running around and trying to get stuff done for the house that we just didn't have time to go on a walk.  It was beautiful out too so it would have been the perfect time to get outside.  

This week, I've got nothing done.  I haven't worked out once.  I'm about to overshare and it's probably TMI so be warned.  I spent most of my week either in bed or on my couch because I got my first period since giving birth and it has been freaking terrible.  Foregoing the hormone part for a second, just the physical stuff alone was awful.  My cramps felt like contractions and I had to double up my pads because one wasn't enough.  You know, in all the books I've read to prepare for being a mother the postpartum stuff is really not talked about a lot.  I really wasn't expecting to have it this bad and I especially wasn't expecting for it to return at eight weeks postpartum.  

I had read that breastfeeding could delay your period for months.  I didn't know pumping when I went back to work could trigger the return of my menses.  It did.  I also wasn't planning on all the extra emotions/hormones I had.  I got super crabby and angry, mostly at Tim, for no reason.  I was just super bitchy.  Then I got incredibly sad.  I went through this period where I felt like I had done something wrong because my period came back.  Then I was just sad because it was the final nail in my pregnancy coffin.  It was that one thing that just affirmed that I'm no longer pregnant and that chapter is closed.  Once you go into labor and you deliver your baby there really isn't any time to process that you aren't pregnant.  You now have this baby to take care of and in the beginning you're exhausted and this person consumes all of your awake time.  Plus my body has changed so much that I don't even really feel like myself anymore.  Getting my period made me come face to face with these issues.  In a way I think I had to process all of these changes and maybe even mourn the ending of my pregnancy.  I don't know if that even makes sense to any of you but it was a very emotional and taxing week.  

Now that I'm feeling better, I hope to get some activity in this weekend - even if it's just some walking.  I just need to be active and get outdoors.  Hopefully next week is a better week.

No comments:

Post a Comment