Sunday, July 24, 2016

Postpartum Progress

I'll be honest, since I gave birth the last thing on my mind has been my weight.  It's been hectic trying to get settled and figure things out with the baby and that's really been my focus.  For the first few weeks my eating habits were atrocious, basically I ate whatever whenever I could fit it in.  A lot of times that was whatever other people would bring over or takeout.  We didn't cook a meal once the first three weeks after we brought the baby home.  I hate typing that because I feel like a failure.  For nine months my sole focus was making sure I was eating what was necessary for the baby to be healthy.  I tested my blood sugars everyday, three times a day, my entire pregnancy to make sure they were in line with the foods I was putting in my mouth.  Then the baby came and it was like that just went right out the window.  The problem is that I'm still making her food and she's still getting all her nutrients from the foods I'm eating.

I've been thinking about that a lot these last couple of weeks.  If anything, Hadley is my biggest motivation to be better and knowing that what I'm putting in my body still has the potential to affect her has really been weighing on my mind.  I don't want her to have to face the same struggles that I have.  My relationship with food is my biggest struggle and I've struggled with that my entire life.  I DO NOT want that for my daughter.  I want her to have a healthy relationship with food from the start and the only way to accomplish that is to teach her.  I can't try to teach her something I don't know myself.  It just doesn't work that way.  So, these last couple of weeks have brought some better changes in my eating habits.  Tim and I stopped going to eat out and we started cooking at home.  Okay, by we I mean Tim - he does most of the cooking around here.  We have also tried to cut out processed foods and sugars.  He has done way better in that area than I have.  I have a bad sweet tooth and detoxing from sugars is super hard for me.  I may have had a few slip ups here or there.  Tim does a really good job of keeping me accountable though and I've been doing a lot better in that area.

My focus this time around has changed a bit.  I still want to lose weight but it's not even what I think about anymore.  I've weighed myself twice in the 5 weeks I've been home.  I used to weigh every day.  At this point, I just want to be healthy and I don't really care what my body looks like.  I know that my body will follow.  Right now I'm just concentrating on nutrition and trying to figure out how to eat.  It's sad that I'm 28 years old and I really don't know the first thing about eating healthy.  When I saw success before it was because I had someone or something telling me what to eat, be it the HCG manual or a trainer.  This time I'm on my own and I have to figure out how to do it in order to see the long term success I want.  Eventually I want to get back to the gym and start exercising but for now I'm content just going on evening walks with my family.  We try to get out and walk at least every other night if not every night.  For now, that's good enough.

Anyway, all that being said I still think it's a good idea to have an awareness of my progress, because weight loss is still good motivation, so I've uploaded some visual aides.  Before I got pregnant I weighed 337 pounds, as far as I know. These pictures (below) were taken in August of 2015 when my Aunt and Uncle came to visit us.  I really hadn't weighed myself for a few months before these pictures were taken so I'm guessing I was above the 337 but I can't say for sure.  Either way, I was huge.          




  This picture was taken while I was pregnant, two days before I delivered, and I weighed 311 pounds.  I got all the way down to 301 but those last four weeks of pregnancy saw an increase in weight.  My midwife assured me it was water retain-age and normal baby growth.  (This picture makes me miss my bump a little.)  It was the healthiest I'd felt in a long time.  I actually felt beautiful when I saw this picture.   


These pictures I took today - five weeks postpartum.  I weighed in this morning at 290 - that's 47 lbs down from 337.  I haven't seen numbers like this since I did HCG back in 2013.  This time I haven't even been dieting - just trying to eat better and walking around the neighborhood.  It's invigorating knowing that I accomplished this on my own.






4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, you look great. I can tell by your smile, you are doing what is right for you. Keep up the good work mommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I absolutely will keep going.

      Delete
  2. I love you, Girl. This is a brave thing you're doing. You're stubborn, just like your mom. You've set your mind to do something and you'll do it,whole heartedly. You got this!!

    ReplyDelete