Friday, January 22, 2016

Infertility . . .

So here we are approaching the 19 week mark (almost halfway done) and I still have a hard time believing that we are pregnant.  Part of it, I think, is that we haven't felt the baby move yet but for the most part I think it is still so surreal that we got pregnant in the first place.  You see, I was told I would not be able to conceive naturally.  Instead, I would need some kind of fertility treatment in order to get pregnant.

Let me back up a bit.  When I was 16 I was diagnosed with Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome, more commonly known as PCOS.  PCOS is an endocrine disorder but it's more like a disorder of many symptoms.  Obesity, diabetes, infertility, thyroid problems, irregular menstrual cycles, all of these are just part of the package.  When I was diagnosed they told me that it would be harder to maintain a healthy weight and that I would have difficulty conceiving.  When I was diagnosed with Diabetes in my early 20's I was much heavier and my doctor told me that diabetes and PCOS made fertility an unlikely event.  She said that with weight loss I could reverse the effects of my Type 2 diabetes and it would help with the PCOS symptoms so that I might be able to get pregnant.  I wasn't in a relationship so getting pregnant wasn't high on my priority list but losing weight was.  That proved to be very difficult.  I lost weight and gained it all back, then lost some again only to gain that back plus. 

Now here we are, 2.5 years into my relationship and things are getting more serious.  The topic of children came up.  I've always wanted kids and when Timothy expressed his desire for children I started to get worried that wouldn't be a possibility for us.  So we went to the doctor to see what options we had for when we decided to move forward with starting our family.  I had to go through some really uncomfortable testing to make sure that I was producing eggs and there were no blockages in my uterus.  Everything checked out but we did find out that I wasn't ovulating so in order to get pregnant I would have to start with an oral medication to make me ovulate.  On top of that, because of my diabetes, my blood sugar was high.  We knew now wasn't the right time but now we knew that I could carry a baby.  I went home with the knowledge that I needed to get my blood sugar down and I needed to lose weight. 

Fast forward three months and my A1C had dropped from 7.9 to 7.1, which was still on the high side.  I wasn't dieting I was just concentrating on trying to make better eating choices.  It was working.  I didn't even weigh myself so I have no idea how much I lost, if anything, but I was looking thinner.  We hadn't gone back to talk about getting pregnant, both Tim and I were just concentrating on making better lifestyle choices.  One month after they had drawn my second A1C, I started to feel pretty crampy and bloated, usually signs of an impending period.  I didn't have regular cycles so I had no idea if it was late or on time or what was going on.  Because of all the testing and doctors visits we had just gone through, Tim was on this "You're Pregnant" kick.  I got tired of hearing it, because in my mind that wasn't a possibility, so I decided to buy a cheap pregnancy test just to get him to shut up - I was that certain I was getting my period.  I ended up being wrong, to my utter amazement, and have ended up hearing "I told you so" every day since.

The moral of this story is this:  The only guarantee in life is that we are going to die and anything is possible.  Just because I am overweight, had high blood sugar, and was a diabetic did not mean I could not get pregnant.  Get a second opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment