Monday, July 7, 2014

How Do We Recover From Failure?

"Failure is the only opportunity to begin more intelligently."

I saw this quote on an episode of Catfish, on a fortune cookie, and I've been thinking about it a lot ever since.  Heaven's knows that I've had my fare share of failure lately, and then some.  We all know that I've failed financially and physically.  At this point I'm starting all over again in both situations.  I'm so in debt I've got to start digging myself back out, but I'm working on it.  Physically I'm trying to eat healthier as well and make better choices that way. 

I wish I could say that starting over has made me make more intelligent decisions.  For the most part it has.  I'm better prepared this time around than I was the last time I did HCG.  I know what foods I can and can't eat and how much water I should be drinking to get the best results.  It's really helped me transition into this diet and make better meals.  Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that I've always made the best decisions.  Sometimes being in the moment makes me forget what the end goal is.  For instance, going to the movies because I've won free tickets and having some popcorn when I've set a goal to eat clean for 30 days.  It may seem like a minor thing but the reality is that it's a huge setback.  Here I am trying to get rid of all the crap in my body and then I just keep feeding it that same crap.  I know that it's a set back and for that moment I've failed again. 

What this quote is saying, at least for me, is that we all face failure at some point in our lives.  Sometimes we fail at the same thing over and over again until we finally get it right.  For a long time I've always been ashamed about my failures so I've hidden them away and never talked about them.  I really don't want to do that anymore.  Sure I've made bad decisions, some of them extremely embarrassing.  It's humbling for me to admit that once again I gave in to an urge to eat something unhealthy, and worse, talked someone else into doing it.  And even more worse, spent money I didn't have to buy it.

However, this failure has taught me several things.  1.  I cannot go to a movie theater and not want popcorn.  2.  I need to plan for that and bring something healthy to snack on.  3.  I need to leave my wallet in the car.  I can't go back and take back what I ate, as much as I want to.  I can only keep moving forward and try not to make the same mistake tomorrow.  I'm not going to hold my head down in shame either.  I'm going to learn from it instead.

Tomorrow is a brand new day and I get to begin it more intelligent than I did today. 

2 comments:

  1. One of my most important tools in my "life tool box" is to turn each failure into a learning experience. Not only does it make me grow, it prevents me from becoming depressed! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great moto! I know sometimes I tend to beat myself up a little too much when I slip up. I let it affect my whole day instead of just moving on. It's really all about how we look at it.

      Delete