Saturday, July 5, 2014

Beef Chili Soup!

My excitement for this round of HCG is growing!  Even more than that, my excitement to keep eating healthy and get back to the gym is growing as well!  I've recently spent a some time pouring over cookbooks looking for ways to cook simple meals that are whole and unprocessed.  I still see adds on TV that showcase a lot of fast food and every once in a while I may give them some thought but I find myself getting more and more excited about healthy food.  I can't wait until this round is over so I can start eating butternut squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, and so many more things.  I've been poring over cookbooks and I'm stockpiling recipes for maintenance and the rest of my life.  I've even found some amazing recipes that had ingredients that I want to stay away from so I've been researching substitutes.  It's been a lot of fun planning things out and experimenting with new recipes.

The last time I tried HCG I remember how monotonous phase 2 could be.  For those of you that don't know, phase 2 is 500 calories a day.  You are very limited on the vegetables and fruits you can eat so you do a lot of repeating with the same veggies.   Last time I never mixed veggies and instead would just eat one veggie and one fruit with my protein.  Basically it got boring fast.  This time around I wanted to see what kinds of things I can come up with to keep this round interesting.  It just so happens that when I was going through some cookbooks today I found a recipe that is inline with the food that I can eat for this round.  I had to make some modifications from the original recipe, things like taking out olive oil and substituting beef for pork, but for the most part I didn't deviate too much.  For those of you that are interested, the original recipe is in the book One Pot and it's called Pork Chili Soup on page 30.  There are a lot of amazing recipes in this book and I can't wait to try them all out.

The chili turned out way better than I anticipated and it was really filling.  It makes four servings and each serving comes to 212 calories.  I took a picture but it wasn't the best quality-I was WAY to hungry to take my time, haha.  Anyway, the recipe is below and I hope you enjoy.  =D





Beef Chili Soup

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 red or green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
14 oz canned chopped tomatoes-no sugar/salt added (you can substitute for fresh tomatoes)
2 bouillon cubes (makes 2 cups of beef broth)
1/8 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp mild chili powder, or to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
1.  Brown beef in large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Season with salt and pepper, and cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently.  Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic.  Cover and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened. 
2.  Add the tomatoes and beef broth.  Add the coriander, cumin, oregano, and chili powder.  Stir the ingredients to combine well.
3.  Bring just to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.  Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more chili powder if you like it hotter.
4.  Ladle the chili into warmed bowls and serve.  You can add chopped, fresh cilantro as garnish before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment