Thursday, October 17, 2013

I Signed Up For An Ironman


That's right, I did.  I signed up for an Ironman triathlon.  Actually, both my mother and I signed up and we're currently recruiting all of our friends to do it with us.  Now before you think I'm completely whacked out of my gourd, let me explain.   We are doing the triathlon through our local YMCA and it's set out over a month period.  You still have to complete the swimming, biking, and running that you would in a normal Ironman but I get to do it over a month instead of a day.  I'm pretty sure I would die otherwise.

To be honest, this is something that I would have never considered doing before.  I would have been perfectly content sitting on the sidelines watching everybody else do it.  I wouldn't have wanted to put in the time or the effort, because lets face it-it's going to take some dedication, and so I wouldn't have even tried.  That thinking got me up to and over 300 pounds.  I'm trying to change that so I signed up to do an Ironman. 

Truth be told, we're acutally really excited about it!  Both my mom and I have just been trying to get back into the routine of going to the gym and getting our workouts in.  Having people to go with is helping ot keep us accountable and it gives us some encouragement when we do show up and kick our workout's butt.  Plus it's been fun!  I think for a while there my workouts were getting tedious and I stopped having fun, which is really all on me.  My attitude had changed and so my workouts changed.  Now I'm putting myself out there and making myself try new things-wether I want to or not.  For instance, I'm not really keen on swimming laps but I'm still going to go do it.  Why?  Because it's a new form of excercise and it just might teach me how to do something different. 

I encourage you to think about trying something you wouldn't regularly do.  You just might surprise yourself. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really excited to give it a try. It's definitely giving me a greater appreciation for all those that complete a regular Ironman! They would have to have some incredible endurance to complete that!

      Delete