Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!


Happy Halloween!  This is my absolute favorite time of year!  All my favorite holidays are back to back; Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  These last couple of weeks have been filled with The Haunted World, scary movies, trunk or treats & boo bashes, and all kinds of fun things.  What it hasn't been filled with:  treats or tricks of any kind. 

In years past this time of year brought with it all kinds of unhealthy snacks like hot chocolate, candy, pumpkin spice lattes, pie, and all other sorts of things.  This year my resolve to stay healthy is strong and I'm determined to come away from this season weighing less than when I went into it.  That being said, I'll be the first to admit that I've struggled with this concept over the last month.  It's taken me a while to get these seasonal habits under control and to stop myself from reaching for those pieces of candy or sugary treats.  I've found a few things to help me stay on track.

Here's what I'm doing to keep myself in check:

  1. Set Goals.  Just because it's the holiday season doesn't mean that I can't meet my goals.  It's important to keep making those goals and try to stick with it.  Make sure you write them down and put them somewhere you can see them on a daily basis so you're constantly reminded of where you're at and where you're going.    
  2. Plan ahead.  This time of year I've got a lot going on with family and friends.  I'm constantly on the go and sometimes it's hard to always be prepared when it's time to eat.  Plan ahead.  Always have a plan no matter where you're going or what you're doing.  If you don't than it can be really easy to go get some fast food-which may not offer the healthiest choices.  
  3. Come up with physical activities and challenges.  Come up with some kind of physical activity that's going to keep you active.    For example, check out my current challenge on Facebook.  I find that the more people I can get involved is more people to help keep me accountable and vice versa.  Being active during the holidays and the colder months can be hard.  It's all too easy to talk ourselves out of going to the gym when it's rainy or snowy outside.  Coming up with these challenges helps me follow through.
These are just a couple of things I find that are helping me get through the holidays.  I'm sure before it's all said and done that there will be more to add to this list.  What are you doing to keep yourself healthy this holiday season?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder! I have been living my "new lifestyle", or, as I think of it, my "never-ending diet" for about two and a half years now. I lost quite a bit of weight, 70 pounds, but some has creeped back on, and I am not even finished losing yet:( So I have to work really really hard at just maintaining, then I get on the scale, and oops, it's a little higher. Ugh. I am trying to get back that steely resolve that kept me from even tasting bad things, that resolve that took those pounds off and helped me get my life back. So, thank you for sharing, you have helped me today. I also need to set goals and plan better. I did go to the pool today:) And...Happy Halloween!

    ps feeling better and losing the weight is WAY better than Snicker's and Reese's anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think at some point we all lose our motivation. We just have to remember why we started in the first place and make sure we have a plan in place to get there. The holidays are especially hard when you're constantly surrounded by all those yummy treats. Just keep pushing through and you'll get through it!

      Delete