Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Right Behaviors

Ttoday when I was reading Core Identity's post today about changing behaviors & the mistakes we make it made me think about my own changing behaviors.  Looking back at my I've realized that I've changed a lot of behaviors already - my eating habits being the most noticeable changes.  For instance, you no longer find me going through the drive through of Taco Bell-or any other fast food place, I stay away from sugary drinks like soda pop, kool-aid, or hard liquor and I especially stay away from heavy carbs like pastas, pizzas, cakes, donuts and things of that nature.

For all the incredible progress and changes I've already made, I still have a long way to go.  Trying to change my lifestyle is bar the biggest change I've ever made-and it's going to take doing it with little changes along the way.  I have many mental blocks that I'm still struggling with like telling myself I CAN do something instead of I can't or just simply trusting in myself.

None of these changes I've made or am trying to make would be possible at all if I was in an environment or surrounded by people that are or would be detrimental to what I'm trying to accomplish.  The hard truth is that before I started losing weight I surrounded myself with like minded individuals.  These are individuals, including my own family, that were like me:  obese, didn't work out, and weren't looking to change anything about their lives.

Luckily my family, and most of my friends, have rallied and we've been able to make some lifestyle changes together.  Some of my friends may not  follow the same regiment or lifestyle that I do but they don't let me fail when I'm with them.  They encourage me to stick to my diet, even when I'm not with them, and if we do happen to do something together than they make accommodations for my lifestyle.  They're willing to try new things and encourage me to keep being a better person.  Other "friends" haven't been so wonderful and have tried to sabotage me by encouraging me to eat things I shouldn't.  They try to tempt me to indulge in bad behaviors-even if it's as simple as getting reeses pieces at the movies or something worse-going to a buffet.  They flat out exploit my weaknesses and encourage me to give in to them.  While it's not their responsibility to keep me on the straight and narrow, they can surely make it very difficult for me.

The same goes with your environment.  If you allow yourself to be put in a situation, like going to a buffet, a bar, or hanging out with people you know are not good for you or do not support you than you are not going to be successful.  However, if you surround yourself with people that have the same goals, who will be supportive, and you stay in environments that are going to be conducive to your growth than you will surely see success.

By far, this is one of the changes I'm struggling with the most.  It's hard for me to look at friends I've had for years and make the decision to move on.  The simple fact is if I want to be successful than I have to start changing my behaviors.  Some of those behaviors are going to be down right difficult-like saying goodbye to a person you've known a long time.  I  don't want to have to do these things but I know that by doing so I will be able to have a healthier, happier life, and I will see the results I'm striving for.    

What are some behaviors you are struggling with modifying?

No comments:

Post a Comment