Monday, September 23, 2013

Non-Scale Victories


I have been so focused on losing weight recently that I've been stressing about all the little things I haven't been doing right-such as eating sugar.  Granted it's been a little out of control lately but I'm starting to wonder if it's more to do with the fact that I'm constantly thinking about NOT doing that I can't help but crave it.  It's actually been causing me a significant amount of stress and it's killing my motivation to be healthier and to work out. 


Because I've been so stressed and busy lately I decided to take this weekend and just go have fun.  I spent some time with my family, went shopping with my mom, and I quit worrying about work, eating, and losing weight.  I just spent time in the moment.  I still had a busy weekend and Saturday I pretty much ran non-stop but it was stuff that I wanted to do.  I got to socialize a little bit, catch up with family I haven't seen in a while, and I got to go shopping!

I did celebrate some amazing non-scale victories this weekend with my mom.  I got a free gift check from Lane Bryant in the mail for $25 so I went and tried on some clothes.  Plus they were having a big sale this weekend so I ended up getting double the clothes for my money.  While I was there I discovered that I'm now officially wearing a size 18 pants and it won't be long before I'm in a size 16!!  =D  I haven't been in a size 18 pants for YEARS.  I think the last time I was in that size was in high school but I honestly can't remember-it's been so long.  I also discovered that I'm able to wear a 2x shirt.  (That's down from a 4x by the way.)  It's still a tad tighter than I would like but the 3x is definitely too big on me now. 

Perhaps the most exciting part of the weekend for me was actually not trying on clothes.  It was buying my first pair of running shoes.  I have really been wanting a decent pair of running shoes but I've always been worried about the cost.  I went to the Nike outlet this weekend and I got a heck of a deal on a pair of shoes. Half off the original price and then an extra 20% off that.  I was so excited I snapped them right up!  I actually had to restrain myself from buying multiple pairs.  These ones will last me for a while before I'll have to replace them.  

I feel so rejuvenated after this weekend and I know that going forward some things have got to change.  I can't allow myself to get a place where I'm not motivated to be healthy.  I refuse to let myself go there.  It'll be a work in progress but I think my new running shoes will help me move forward!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenea, I just found your blog. First of all, I love the new sneakers. I want some. Your story encouraged me so much. I am old enough to be your mother, but I can relate. I have 16 kids, and have been overweight for a few decades. I had lots of excuses, I was tired and busy and and and, I ate too much. No time for a nap? Cookies then! Anyway, I decided a few years back that enough was enough, and have lost almost 70 pounds. I am struggling now with keeping it off, and really need to lose at least 50 more, but I am not giving up! I know I will have to fight this battle every day of my life, but having nice sneakers and actually being able to go for a walk without feeling like I'm dying are worth it! So although you don't know me, I am rooting for you! Keep up the good work. (I especially love that your mom and dad are into this too, my own commitment to a better lifestyle definitely helped some of my family too!)

    Della

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Della! I'm so glad that you found me and I thank you for your words, it means a lot to me! I can definitely relate to finding all the excuses in the world to not do what I'm supposed to but it sounds like you're doing it now. 70 pounds is a huge accomplishment-especially with such a large family to take care of. I've found that many of my friends with children have a much harder time trying to balance their family life and being healthy. I applaud you in that aspect!

      Delete