Wednesday, August 7, 2013

All You Need 2 Know About Sugar


This post is super hard for me to write because I'm going to be admitting my failures.  I've been avoiding writing it this week and I've finally come to the realization that I need to put it out there.  I need to be accountable to myself, and others, that I have a problem.

My problem is sugar and the fact that I'm addicted to it.

When I first started my weight loss journey I began with HCG.  If you don't know, it's a 500 calorie diet and VERY restrictive in regards to what you consume.  You absolutely cannot eat sugar or you WILL gain weight.  So for 40 days I didn't consume any sugar-other than what was naturally in fruit.  Then I went to Wisconsin and completely blew my diet.  I was eating ice cream and the wrong kind of carbs.  Ever since I've had a hard time getting myself back in control.  I decided that because I was losing weight and I was working out all the time that I deserved to treat myself.  I started with gourmet coffee's from Dutch Bros.  You know, the kind with all the sugar and extra flavorings in it.  Then pretty soon I was treating myself to froyo and we all know what that has in it.  Sugar.  These last couple of weeks have been really bad and I haven't been able to satisfy myself with just coffee and froyo.  Instead I was craving things like ice cream shakes and simple carbs like pizza.  Worse, I was giving in to my cravings.  I knew things were getting really bad when I started having dreams about macaroni and cheese and Top Ramen.  Things I haven't wanted in MONTHS.

I really didn't know what my problem was or why I couldn't control my cravings.  I started doing some research on food addictions and that's when I came across sugar addiction.  I don't know about you but when I first started thinking about this I thought it was ridiculous.  You can't be addicted to sugar.  I was wrong and you absolutely can.  According to an article I was reading, sugar can be as addictive as cocaine.  Think about that for a second.  That's a scary thought right?  Did you also know that too much sugar is linked to certain types of cancer and a whole list of other diseases that WILL kill you?  I encourage you to read the full article but I warn you that it is scary.  We all need to be aware of the fact that sugar can be addictive and that's in almost everything out there.

So now I know that I have this addiction to sugar.  And just like people that are addicted to alcohol or drugs, I have to go through a detox as well.  It's not as extreme, of course, as an alcohol detox but I'm going to have to fight the cravings. Thank heavens I have a great support system standing behind me.  So my commitment to you, and myself, is that I am going to stop looking for sugary treats.  I am going to watch my sugar consumption and only eat things that are unprocessed and only eat natural sugars like agave and honey.  I encourage you to do the same.

Is this something that you also struggle with?

4 comments:

  1. I just wrote about this not long ago! I still eat some sugar occasionally. But I find that life is just more peaceful without sugar.

    I have done super restrictive diets in the past, and coming off of them can be extremely difficult, because your body perceives that it is starving, and will do whatever it can to correct that. That might have added to your struggle.

    Whatever it was, its hard, isn't it? You just have to keep on--don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been crazy hard trying to wean myself off of the sugar. I agree that sugar in moderation is okay but I just have to be very careful. Maybe one day I'll be able to handle it just fine but for right now I keep finding myself heading towards candy and sugary drinks. It's been a struggle for me this week to keep myself away from it. I find that eating natural sugar, like berries and other fruits, helps cut down the cravings a lot. I have to be careful there too because I don't want to over abuse that either. It's really a vicious cycle.

      Delete
  2. Well (knock wood), I seem to do OK w/LIMITED amounts of sugar (the occasional frappuccino, sharing a DQ cone w/my boy) - these past few weeks I've just done more mindless eating overall which has stalled out my weight loss...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when I do that. It's the most frustrating thing ever, lol. Mostly, I think, because I am doing it to myself.

      Delete