Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Planning Ahead For Success

I love this wkst because it has the food prep on it.  Ignore the writing in the middle, it's not mine.

Recently I've been thinking about planning my meals ahead of time.  I used to believe that I was great at organization and planning when in reality I was terrible at it.  Sure I could plan a pretty great party and organize my friends' books but when it came to food all the planning and organization stopped.  I simply ate whatever I wanted whenever the mood struck.  Unfortunately that behavior is what got me to 326 pounds. 

When I started my journey on the HCG diet, things were pretty darn strict.  I had a list of food I could and could not eat.  I knew exactly what to eat, how much to eat, and when to eat it every day.  I had a routine and it worked really well for me at the time.  That being said, I was ready to get off the diet.  I wanted to have more food options and I thought having more freedom would be a blessing.  It wasn't.  All of a sudden I had all these options to eat and I started going back to my crappy behavior.  I stopped planning my meals and logging what I was eating everyday, I quit counting calories and measuring out food portions, and pretty soon I was eating out more frequently and eating more than I would at home.  Before you start yelling, I will tell you I tried to eat healthy when I did eat out but that doesn't really justify it.  The cooks at the restaurants don't cook the way that I do at home.  How much butter, oil, or salt were they putting in my food to add flavor?  Where were they getting their meat and produce from?  The entree's I was eating were bigger than any serving of vegetable I got so in reality, trying to eat out and still be healthy wasn't really working for me.  It was a cop out and an excuse because I didn't want to go home and cook. 

Thankfully, our trainer put both my mother and I on a set meal plan.  As in he spent the time to make a meal plan down to the exact measurement of what we're eating.  It's not a a very strict diet, just slightly repetitive, but absolutely easy to follow.  He has us watching serving sizes and measuring everything I'm putting in my mouth.  He's had us doing this for a couple weeks now and I'm finally starting to "get it".  There's been days where I've been frustrated and blown it off but it's starting to come together finally. 

So in the past couple weeks this is what I've realized about planning your meals:  You need to start doing it.  If you have a set plan and you KNOW what you're doing, you do it.  It's a lot harder to get distracted and stray.  Because I'm eating every two hours I know that if I leave the house I need to be back to eat again or I need to take something with me.  It's severely cut down on my eating out and it's helping me plan my outings better.  Because of meal planning I've started logging what I've been eating again, counting calories-though you don't have to, and measuring my food.  I'm sticking to serving sizes and I'm not over eating.  Plus, I'm eating clean food that I've personally cooked and prepared myself-I know exactly what I'm putting in my mouth.  I can't stress to you enough how important this is.  I know that not planning ahead gives me opportunities to make unhealthy decisions.  Don't do this to yourself, make that change and start planning ahead. 

For those of you that are already making meal plans, is it working for you?  What are some of the benefits you're seeing?


No comments:

Post a Comment