Sunday, June 9, 2013

My Favorite Summer Excercise: Paddle Boating

Summer is finally here!!!  Usually summer for me means staying indoors with the air conditioner because I'm usually too hot and tired to enjoy doing anything outdoors.  Being fat means that the heat is excruciating.  I would swelter going outside and what little energy I had didn't last long.  I'm not sure if it was because of all the crappy food I was putting in my body, my weight, or a mixture of both but I absolutely detested going outside in the summer.  As you can imagine that meant giving up on a lot.  I would miss state fairs, carnivals, road shows, rodeos, literally all kinds of things.

This summer is going to be different!  I am determined to get my big behind outside and enjoy myself-heat be damned!  I figure one of the reason I look the way I do is because I don't spend enough time outdoors.  Yesterday, day 1 of our busy weekend, I talked my mother into going to Boise with me and we spent the first part of the day walking around the zoo.  We even fed the giraffe's and took a boat ride.  Don't get me wrong, I have lots of good things to say about the zoo and we had a blast there but the thing I'm most excited about was the paddle boats.







As we were leaving the zoo we saw a place that was renting paddle boats!  We, my ma and I,  went to lunch and couldn't stop talking about how much fun it would be to try it out.  We were a little skeptical because we're still quite large, even though we've been losing weight, and we weren't sure if we could even do it.  We decided to try anyway and you know what?  We freaking did it!  For an hour, which surprised the lady selling us our tickets.  I'm thinking that should have been our first clue, haha.

We had a blast!  I got some sun and some exercise at the same time and it was stinking fun.  It was literally two ponds connected by, what I can only describe as, a river.  It was shaded with these beautiful trees and there were ducks and geese everywhere.  Lots of little babies and they were so cute!  To be 100% honest, it was exhausting.  We would paddle, paddle, paddle and then we'd have to float for a minute to rest our legs.  But we paddled around those ponds for an hour and our legs were pretty sore by the time we were done.  It was so fun and I exciting just because we did it.  I would NEVER have even tried that in my prior fat girl days.  NEVER!  It was a warm, sunny day and I probably wouldn't have spent as much time outside as we did yesterday.

We were number 23!








You can always tell when we workout by the red faces!


After our paddle boating adventure we made our way home for dinner and then grocery shopping.  It took us four hours to go grocery shopping.  Granted we went to three different stores but reading labels and comparing food takes a lot of time.  Does it take you as long to get your groceries?  We were shopping for a household of three if that makes a difference.  It's funny because now that I buy healthy food I pay attention to what a lot of other people are putting in their cart.  We saw this lady yesterday and she had macaroni and cheese, soups in a can, top ramen, and all kinds of other quick fixes in her cart.  That was me three months ago.  It's crazy to see how much things have changed.  I mean now I'm even making my own peanut butter!

Today was a tad more relaxing but it still was pretty crazy.  I got in a good hour and fifteen minute workout today at the YMCA and then it was off to Emmett for a barbeque with the grandparents.  They have beautiful property there and I love going out there because it's so quiet and peaceful.

I'm hoping this weekend is going to be like many in the summer to come.  Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have a nice tan to show for all the time I'm going to be spending out doors.  How do you plan on being active this summer?

4 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a lot of fun! A good day :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine! It was actually really fun and we got a pretty good workout doing it which makes it even better in my book!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great day! Yeah, it's really unbelievable how much weight affects your enjoyment of summer. When I was obese I hated summer and felt hot all the time. I was also "fine" in winter - the cold didn't bug me that much, and I never needed a sweater in the air conditioning (I thought my friends were whiny for complaining about being cold all the time). I thought that was just the "way I was", but when I lost weight I was surprised to be freezing in air-conditioning and in winter, and started looking forward to the summer and wanting to be outside everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely relate to the winter, I usually love it because I'm so HOT all the time. I'm hoping this next winter I will be down a significant amount. This summer, while I still get hot, is remarkably different from last summer. I seem better able to tolerate the warmer weather. I can't wait to actually start enjoying my summer's outside.

      Delete