Monday, June 24, 2013

It's Time To Re-Evaluate.

Have you ever felt defeated while trying to lose weight?  I have and I do.

Lately it seems like all I’m feeling about losing weight is frustration.  It seems I’ve lost my motivation and excitement for losing weight.  Today I was catching up on some of my favorite blogs and I was reading Diane’s blog, Fit to the Finish.  Diane had a post about red flags to watch out for as you're losing weight.  (You can read about it here.)  Reading this post I’ve thought about all the frustration I’ve been feeling this last week and it seems like Diane wrote this post just for me.  I encourage you to read her post because I feel it’s important to recognize if/when you go through these things so you can take steps to fix it.  

I’m going to talk about the first two subjects:  Not seeing progress and the re-appearance of old habits.  Since I have completed phase 2 of the HCG diet and I’m no longer on the 500 calorie diet I’ve been in maintenance, or had been as of last week.  The goal was to maintain my weight at the end of phase 2.  I’ve done that very well and haven’t moved, within 2-3 pound range, from that weight.  The problem that I’ve been experiencing, and where the frustration is coming in, is that I’ve not really followed the maintenance plan outlined in the HCG diet plan.  For instance, I’m not supposed to eat carbohydrates at all but per the advice of Breeze, I’ve been eating them.  I’ve also been working out pretty vigorously at least 4-6 times per week.  I SHOULD have been losing weight, or so I thought, but I haven’t.  So I’ve been feeling frustrated about that.
 
Secondly, since coming home from Wisconsin I’ve been eating out more and more.  Now I will say that for the most part I’ve been eating pretty well while I’m eating out.  However, there have been the occasional splurges on sugar free latte’s and frozen yogurt.  I haven’t always made the best decisions while eating out but I feel like it hasn’t been as bad as it could be.  That being said, I think that’s a big part of the reason I haven’t been losing weight like I could have been.  It also scares me to think that I’m giving up on becoming healthy and that I’m going back to where I was before I started losing weight.  I’m not but it stresses me out nonetheless. 
Now here’s the kicker.  I told Breeze that I was getting discouraged and that I was feeling a little frustrated.  It was singularly the best decision I’ve ever made to tell him.  He told me that the first four weeks of working out for us was not about losing weight.  It was about building muscle, gaining balance, and strength.  I’ve done those things and I can feel those changes.  He said that we should not worry about losing weight in that first month.  He said I was NORMAL.  I’ve been so sedentary for so long that my body has to adjust to working out and lifting weights.  It’s got to build the muscle and the strength first before I start shedding the pounds.  Most people, including myself, don’t know that about their bodies and they quit within those first couple of weeks because they’re not seeing the results that they expect.  Breeze told me that if I stick to my new lifestyle and I continue to be active and lift weights that the weight will come off.  In fact, he’s already declared next month as the month where we shred the fat, as he put it.  We’re going to start circuit training and I’m scared shitless excited.  

Anyways, the point I’m trying to make is that you might get discouraged at times.  Recognize those warning signs and do something to correct it.  Don’t give up because you’re not seeing what you think you should be seeing.  Ask someone, you may just not know your body the way you think you do.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment