Monday, May 13, 2013

Wellness For Life

Our Local YMCA


Second day of maintenance and my first day of going to the gym!  I can't tell you how excited I am to be going to the gym.  Back in my prior fat days, roughly about a month ago, I detested going to the gym,  I always felt like I was on display and I was scared to use any of the weight machines or free weights.  I pretty much stuck to straight cardio and that got boring fast.  A couple of weeks ago I decided that I was going to start going to the gym and I wasn't going to be embarrassed or self-conscious any more.  I got my membership and made an appointment for a wellness for life meeting.  I had absolutely no idea what the heck that was but the Chicky at the front desk recommended it and so I scheduled it.   

Today I went in bright and early at 7:00 am and met with a trainer named Gina for my wellness appointment.  She took my weight and blood pressure and asked me a ton of questions about my eating habits, if I was a smoker, on any meds and so forth.  I was actually pretty pleased, for the first time in my life, to be able to tell her about my eating habits.  She looked at me like I was lying though so I had to explain to her about my diet and that this was a recent development.  She was really excited for me and told me that I already had the hard part down.  Woohoo! 

After all the questions about my workout plans and what not we took a tour of the workout floor and she was going to show me how to use some of the machines.  I took this to mean she was going to show me the machines and tell me how to use them.  Haha, yeah right.  She actually made me use them and showed me how to program them and change settings.  It was actually pretty fun but I definitely started sweating.  She helped me set some workout goals and gave me a workout regimen to get me started.  She was so awesome that I'm really thinking about hiring her as my personal trainer.  We'll see how it goes for now.

I was so beat by the time we left the gym though that I came home and took a nap.  I'm guessing I probably didn't eat enough calories yesterday so I quickly worked through what I had eaten.  I'm working on upping my calories and I'm starting to add in new foods.  Tomorrow will be my first day doing a full workout on my own at the gym and I'm pumped to get started.  

4 comments:

  1. I like to watch TV while I exercise. It is the only time I watch TV! Does your gym have some television you can watch while you exercise? It makes the time go faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does! Actually some of the stationary bikes and treadmills have their own TV screens. My mom loves to use those but I usually prefer listening to music while I'm doing cardio. It keeps me moving because I want to dance. =) Sometimes I even like to listen to audio books. If I don't have something to listen to I start to watch the clock and that just makes the time go way to slow! How are your workouts going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My workouts are going great! The beautiful weather is helping. I am getting back in the habit of working out 6 days a week. The good thing is, I really enjoy the way exercise makes me feel. So, that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy working out myself. It makes me feel so much better to be able to get out there and sweat. I'm actually in Wisconsin right now and it's so beautiful here. I'm looking forward to getting outside and walking around the neighborhood.

      Delete