Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My Granny Wanted 2 Do What??

This week has been a pretty hectic week.  I left Idaho last Saturday (the 18th) and made my way to Kenosha, Wisconsin.  It's been several years since I have been to Wisconsin, in fact the last time I was here was when my father passed away almost seven years ago.  It was long past time to go visit my family and boy am I glad that I have.  Unfortunately I've been seeing so much of my family that I haven't had a lot of time to post on the blog, my deepest apologies.  I promise I'll have lots to write about and pictures to show you but for now I'll leave you with one of my favorite times so far:

Yesterday while at my grandma's house she tells me she thinks we should go get OUR noses pierced.  She literally blew my mind!  I would have never guessed my 74 year old grandmother would want to go get her nose pierced.  So we decided to go to Racine to see if we could get it done.  My cousin referred us to i ov thee dragon tattoo.  I'm sure glad she did too as the place was supremely clean and sterile and the piercer (Johnathan) was very gentle and just an awesome guy. 

Anyway, my grandmother walks in and marches right up to him and tells him she's there to get her nose pierced.  He google eyed her for a minute, looked at me and says "Both of you?!"  She says "Yup, both of us!"  He quickly recovered from his shock (haha) and got down to business.  Now let me tell you, I was more nervous than my grandma to get my nose pierced.  I have six tattoos and I've gotten my ears pierced, multiple times, as well as my tongue and never had an issue.  However a couple months ago I was getting a tattoo and saw my first nose piercing done.  The girl screamed like she was getting murdered in the chair.  It completely freaked me out so when my dear ol'granny recommended we get our noses done I was a little skeptical.  So I made her go first.  She breezed right through it nary a flinch or scream.  I figured if she could do it than I could do it so I hitched up my big girl pants and got it done.  It was one of the best moments I've had with my grandma and just seeing how excited she was afterwards made it all worth it.  So now we have matching nose rings and pretty soon we're going to get our birthstones to replace the diamonds we have currently.

I leave to go home in just a few short days so I'll make sure to post some pictures and more stories of my family adventures in Wisconsin when I get back.  Until then, Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. Your comment about "chubby" was not mean at all. I think it was strikingly honest. I realize now that, when I started my own blog as "Chubby McGee," I was covering up the fact that I was actually "clinically obese" and I did it by choosing the word "chubby" as my title. I didn't really want to own up to the fact that I was obese. I think you're absolutely correct! I believe women need to start being honest with themselves in order to 1.) get healthy and 2.) stay on track. If we are over 200 pounds and we accept that as our fate then we'll NEVER be able to fully get healthy/fit to prevent our early deaths and/or obesity related illnesses (again, I had no intention of ever losing weight when I was nearing 250! I would have just kept going up because I believed I would never be able to lose weight and I "accepted my fate"). That kind of thinking would have literally killed me. It's so sad.

    I'm embarrassed that I once thought of myself as simply "chubby." I know better now. You'll find yourself rethinking every, single thing you know as your quest to get fit goes on and on. You won't get "snobby" or "mean" when you say what you feel about weight-related issues, you'll find yourself educated. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    Your honesty is what will keep you successful since, the more honest you are about what you are doing and how you're seeing yourself, the more you'll be able to stay on track BECAUSE YOU "GET IT" and you SEE. Keep that mentality! Don't let anyone sugarcoat anything or coddle you along the way. Just keep going because you're doing a FANTASTIC JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found already that as my views change on what I eat and how unhealthy things are that I want to share that with other people. Unfortunately, not everyone shares those views or wants my opinions. I can only hope that in time they find the courage I did to change their lifestyle.

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful story about a special experience you and your grandmother shared. Your grandmother sounds really cool! Tough and daring! What are your tattoos of? I am always curious about people's "ink" and what it represents for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many tattoos. I have my favorite flower, a lily, on my foot. My zodiac sign, Pisces, on my ankle. I have a full bodied fairy on the side of my calf, a nautical star that I got with my cousin on the back of my shoulder, a dragonfly on my left wrist and my last name on my right wrist-for my dad.

      Delete
  3. I had to pop on here and add that your comment on my post today was fantastic. You "got" what I was trying to say and you said it SOOOOO much better than I did. Thank you for that comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your post! I really think more people need to hear, or in your case read, what you are saying. I've been seeing this Fat acceptance everywhere, especially in younger and younger children. I find it extremely sad when I see an obese child. =(

      Delete
  4. OMG That is sooo cute! I love it! Your granny must be kick ass!

    ReplyDelete