Tuesday, May 7, 2013

For The Love of Cabbage

Since I started the HCG diet in April I've discovered a new found love of veggies, most especially cabbage.  I don't know what it was but when I was eating like the fat kid I was I never really incorporated veggies into my diet.  I never made sure to have a helping of veggies with every meal.  I might have incorporated them with some of my main dishes like Shepard's Pie, but I never had a serving of vegetables just by themselves.  They weren't my priority. 

However, the diet I'm on is pretty strict and veggies have become an important factor in every meal.  In fact, I look at them like they are a free food.  When I'm only allowed to eat 500 calories a day, a big helping of veggies goes a long way.  I eat salad, without salad dressing, and I love it.  That's a big change for me.  I used to smother my salads in Ranch dressing and think that I was making the smart choice because I ate a salad.  Now I think if I were to eat a salad with Ranch that it would be weird.  Cauliflower is another one of my new loves.  It's so versatile, you can cook it so many different ways.  I've found some great recipes on Pinterest that use cauliflower as a mashed potato substitute.  Either raw or cooked, it's amazing.  I have to say though, my new favorite veggie is cooked cabbage.  It's so tasty!  I'm used to eating it raw when we made fish tacos but eating it cooked is a whole different experience.  There are so many ways to cook it too!  Add a little seasoning and I can't get enough of it. 

I've found that veggies have a whole different taste now that I'm not stuffing myself with fat and sugar all the time.  When phase 3 comes in a few days, we get to have a different variety of veggies, right now we're kind of limited.  I'm looking forward to seeing what other veggies I fall in love with.

2 comments:

  1. When I first started dieting, I was the same as you are. I did not think I liked vegetables! Unless they were in a soup, or something. However, I really enjoy most vegetables now. You are in for some amazing treats! Right now, asparagus is in season - you should try roasting it with a little bit of olive oil in the oven and then eating salted. So yummy! Or maybe you'll wait on that one...would oil be to many calories for your current diet? 500 a day is tough, and you should be very proud of yourself! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I can't eat olive oil just yet but Sunday we start our maintenance phase and we can bump up to 1500 calories so you better believe we'll be trying your roasted asparagus. I've been eating it steamed and raw for right now, I would never have thought to roast it. Now I'm excited to give it a try.

      Delete