Tuesday, April 23, 2013

In the Words of Nike, "JUST DO IT"



For the past three weeks that has been my Mantra, I even have it written on my wall to remind myself when I have a moment of weakness and I'm tempted to cheat.  Thank heavens I'm not tempted that much anymore so I don't have to remind myself on an hourly basis like I did the first week.  That first week was by far the hardest!

If you've never heard of the HCG diet let me explain.  It's broken down into 3 phases.  The first phase is two days and all you do is load up on fat while you take the HCG drops.  The second phase is a 500 calorie diet while you take the drops for 20-40 days or however long you want; I'm choosing to do the 40 days my first round.  The third week is 3-6 weeks of maintenance, depending on how long your second phase goes, and during maintenance you do not take the drops and you bump your calories up to 1500 a day.  You can exercise during phase 3 but it's not recommended for phase 2.  

Right now I'm on day 19 of phase 2.  The first 2 days of phase 1  is a cakewalk.  You just load up on as much fat as your body can handle without puking.  I ate taco bell, ice cream, cheesecake, mashed potatoes, whatever I wanted.  You name it I probably ate it.  The worst I can say about this phase is that I had a bellyache by the time it was over because I ate so much.  The second phase is not so easy however.  I applaud those of ou who have amazing willpower and go throughout the entire phase without cheating, like my step-father for instance.  I, however, am not one of them.  I thought about cheating every single day for the first week.  It was super hard to just keep driving past all the fast food restaurants that seemed to be on every corner.  My first dinner on phase 2 was super small compared to my normally loaded plates, not to mention I'm used to going back for seconds and thirds.  I struggled with feeling hungry after eating, my brain wasn't used to processing such small portions.  I was constantly thinking about food and what I couldn't eat the first week.  I had to psych myself out and cut up all my fruits, veggies, and meats into itty bitty portions so that my plate looked fuller.  It didn't help that during my first week a friend of mine baked me a cake for my birthday and surprised me with it.  I won't lie, I totally ate a piece of that cake.  I made excuses that I didn't want to hurt her feelings by telling her I was on a diet but in all reality I just wanted some cake.  So I ate a piece, and regretted it instantly.  I was immediately filled with guild and that little piece of cake made me instantly have a tummy ache.  After a week my body wasn't used to such sugary foods and I felt it pretty quickly.  I ended up taking the rest of the cake to a nearby friend's house so I wouldn't take it home.  I went home renewed with determination to just do it and not give in to the urge to cheat.  My first week I lost 10.6 lbs. 

Halfway through my second week I flew to Utah to watch my friend's children while they went out of town.  I didn't drink enough water on the plane and the next morning I had gained 5 pounds!  MAKE SURE YOU DRINK YOUR WATER!  It was pretty heartbreaking to get on the scale and see that I had gained back 5 pounds.  That week in Utah was a tough one.  It is extremely hard to stick to a strict diet when you have to cook for someone else.  I have a newfound respect for mother sand wives out there trying to diet, it's crazy hard!!  I struggled with it the entire week I was there.  The kids were great and helped me to stay accountable but I still cheated.  I didn't do as bad as I thought I would but I didn't do as well as I had hoped either.  For the most part I did pretty well in sticking to the diet though.  My parents were a big source of encouragement while I was gone.  They called me everyday and talked me through my struggle.  I encourage you to find someone to keep you accountable and to encourage you in moments of weakness; it made all the difference for me.  Even though I cheated I still left Utah several pounds lighter.
           
So here I am in my third week and things are going great!  I'm on day and I've lost a total of 22 lbs so far!  I can honestly say that I don't think about food like I did when I started and I have not cheated since I've been home.  I now feel full after I eat and my plate no longer looks empty.  My cravings for unhealthy food are less and I can look at those foods and realize I was poisoning my body with them.  The best news for me though is that after 3 weeks I'm not longer taking my diabetic medication and my blood sugar is in the "normal" range.  So take my advice and JUST DO IT!  I promise you it gets easier and if you have a bad day just remember that it's just one day.  Tomorrow you can do better!


No comments:

Post a Comment